This is the new server for GMOD.org. Please let us know if you notice anything weird while it's getting broken in.
There are a number of resources available to help spread the word about the GMOD project. This serves (at least) three interrelated purposes.
- It lets people know where tools come from and gives them an idea of how they can learn more. Telling people about GMOD can help them from being overwhelmed by their data.
- This increased visibility leads to increased adoption of tools and that leads to more people contributing back to the project.
- Increased adoption and development help the project and the components get funding.
There is not yet a GMOD project paper. It is perpetually on our todo list. Until that paper comes out, please cite GMOD as
- Generic Model Organism Database (GMOD), http://gmod.org
This is an easy way to increase GMOD's visibility and will help enormously with grants.
If you want to cite a particular page in the wiki, see the NCBI guidelines on citing wikis. The wiki was first 'published' in 2007, although some material predates that.
"Powered by GMOD" icons are available in a number of different resolutions for inclusion on web sites, in talks, and on posters and other printed material. This is an easy way to let people know just how widely used (and how widely useful) GMOD is.
Speakers are available to give presentations at your institution or event. Past topics have included project overviews (e.g., Database Tools for Biologists at Texas A&M), general areas of GMOD (e.g., GMOD Browser Tools and Exercises Workshop at ABRF 2010 and GMOD for Comparative Genomics at ISyIP), and specific GMOD Components (e.g., the MAKER and GBrowse_syn workshops at PAG 2010). Presentations can range from short talks (e.g., Demonstration of Pathway Tools at ISMB 2010), to workshops with multiple speakers (e.g., Database tools for evolutionary genomics at SMBE 2009), to highly interactive and hands-on tutorials (e.g., GBrowse PAG 2010 Workshop). See Training and Outreach for a more complete list of recent topics.
If you are giving a talk or a poster that either discusses or includes GMOD related material, then there are a number of resources available that can help you.
Member Logos - logos of organizations that contribute to or use GMOD.
- GMOD Project Slides - this is a standard set of slides in PowerPoint format, that can be used to describe the GMOD project. Initially, it contains
- A slide explaining the project
- Slides showing logos of ~50 GMOD community members
- Animated slide describing many of the GMOD components
- Presentations and Posters - GMOD.org has an extensive collection of GMOD related presentations and posters. As well as being informative, these can also be mined for graphics. If you do see anything that looks useful to you, please contact the author(s) before using it.
A number of GMOD project statistics are recorded on the Project Statistics page. This is irregularly updated, usually around grant time.
Presentation and Event Promotion
If you are giving a presentation or event with significant GMOD content, we can help you spread the word about it in a number of ways:
- Announce it to the appropriate GMOD Mailing Lists.
- Post it the GMOD News page and RSS feed.
- Link to it from the appropriate component pages.
- Add it to the GMOD Calendar and to the Training and Outreach page.
If you are organizing or presenting at an event with significant GMOD content, then we can help create both a web page, and a flier for the event, highlighting that content. We have created fliers in the past for ISMB 2010, PAG 2010, ISMB 2008, and Arthropod Genomics 2008.
Mugs, T-Shirts, Buttons, ...
Finally, if you want to let people around you know that you're keen on GMOD, you can order shirts, mugs, mouse pads, ... from these online stores:
A tri-fold brochure describing the GMOD project and many of its components was created to give newcomers an overview of the project. If you would like copies of this brochure:
- Download it and print it yourself
We printed 500 of these in late 2009 and they are all gone.